Dinner at Nonki Japanese Restaurant

July 22, 2019

nonki bento meal

These days, my boyfriend and I don't usually eat out a lot just like what we used to. We find that staying and cooking at home is the best way to save money. I for one don't really like to go out if I don't really have to. But of course, we love to get our Japanese food fix from time to time, and yesterday, we went to Nonki Japanese Restaurant at SM City Cebu. The thing is, I've never been to Nonki before, because back when I wasn't dating my boyfriend yet, my sister and I don't usually opt for Japanese resto as she just doesn't like it— she prefers buffet-style and seafood resto. And because I'm introvert who doesn't like to go alone, and I also don't really have friends to hang out and eat out with— I was stuck. Everything changed when I met Henry.

From then on, whenever we go out, we always eat at Japanese restos or places I've never been. I'm glad he walked into my life because I get to experience the things I missed out. You see, I have a limp that renders me to stay at home most of the time. I can only go out if my family decides to do so— which doesn't happen a lot. Add into the mixture my crippling anxiety, then you get a perfect mix of someone who just sits at home, waiting for someone to get me out of this misery lol. Looking back, I was really a damsel in distress wearing my pj's who watch anime and read books hoping to be found. charr

cute girl eating holding chopsticks

And so here we are, eating my first bento box at Nonki. Actually, we've always been planning to go here but then it's always cut short because I always prefer Osaka Takoyaki, in which I'm already familiar with. That's the thing about me though, I don't really venture out, I don't go to places I've never been to; unless I have to. While looking for a place to eat, we walked past by Nonki and my boyfriend just dragged me inside. When I step foot into the premises, I was already in love with the vibe and ambiance of the place.

boy eating holding chopsticks

As the Japanese song softly playing in the background, we were handed with the menu, which Henry and I diligently read and discussed on what to order. And because he's been eating here for quite a lot of times, I asked him what's his favorite and he said: bento box meal. I chose the one with Ebi tempura and beef teriyaki while he chose the one with pork tonkatsu. While we wait for our food, we then proceed to our anime talks. He's been trying to make me watch Black Clover for weeks, but I don't know, I just don't want to get into it yet because I'm still watching Mushishi S2. 

calirfornia maki and gyoza

We also ordered California Maki and Gyoza because that's our favorite Japanese dish. And yes, we didn't get to finish it all because we were already stuffed. So far, their California Maki is bomb.

girl smiling

What I really love about the place is that it's very welcoming, the staff were all very accommodating, and the food was delicious. It can be quite pricey though, but it's really worth every penny. As I'm writing this post, I realized that It's actually one of the best Japanese restaurants I've visited so far and we will definitely be coming back.

Thank you for reading! Until my next post.
sarah rizaga

You Might Also Like

32 comments

  1. I'm hooked into eating ramen these days and yes it's good to try other restaurants to see which one is the best. I thought Ippudo Sydney was the best in ramen as it's popular but when I tasted the karaage ramen in the foodcourt next to my work I was hooked. This Jap resto in SM Cebu looks cool, at least I know where to go as we tend to stay in Radisson when we're in Cebu. Have a fun week!

    www.busyandfab.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! Now I'm craving for some ramen because it's raining here and a bowl of ramen is always a good idea. Yes you should <3

      Delete
  2. The dinner looks delicious! I love Japanese food and it's always one of my top choices for cuisines when my boyfriend and I go out for dinner.

    Mai
    ✰ maidoesthings.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. This dinner looks so good! I love anything and everything bento box! Glad you had a good dinner!

    ☼ Eena | cabin twenty-four

    ReplyDelete
  4. The food looks great and it's awesome you got to try a new restaurant and you ended up loving it! :)

    Hope that you had a great weekend :) I just posted my weekday wear linkup, I'd love you to join! :)


    Away From Blue

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is soo yummy, and its definately a nice cozy date
    https://www.stylebasket.in

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's so cool going to different place every time, I always prefered unique boutique stled kind of places over big branches.
    And the food on this photos looks so good!

    LackaDaisy

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Japanese dinner looks delicious. Good for you two.
    I love the atmosphere in most Japanese Restaurants I have visited.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your photos make the food look even more delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes to experiencing new restaurants and trying new food. Looks like you two had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my you have succeeded in making me quite hungry. Your photos are wonderful and this place looks divine. You guys looked like you had a great and tasty time!

    Allie of
    www.allienyc.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love cooking at home too but it's so great to treat yourself now and then!
    xo Annie
    New England Romance

    ReplyDelete
  12. You and you boyfriend looks amazing! and food looks really delicious ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now I'm really hungry and I just finished lunch. I don't go out for Japanese much because my husband really prefers the buffet-style restaurants. The funny thing is that we went to a movie theater where they also serve food and I was able to get a Bento box there (and it was actually quite good). I love the Bento boxes because they have so many different things to try. I also love trying new restaurants, so good for your boyfriend - I think he's good for you!

    Ruth
    VogueFauxReal

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know right? I too loves buffet style resto. Thank you so much, Ruth.

      Delete
  14. All the food looks delicious! Bento boxes are my favorite because it allows you to get a little bit of everything. And that's great that you stepped out of your comfort zone and found a new restaurant that you love!

    x Kara | http://karascloset.net

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad him pushing you out of your comfort zone was worth it! The food looks delicious and it's good to try somewhere new every now and then x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Bento Box with beef teriyaki in it and sushi make me hungry :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The food looks so good! Will definitely have to check this place out when I fly back home. Also I agree with the whole cooking and eating at home part – plus it's like a mini-date getting to prepare all the food with your significant other : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your time! Your thoughts about this post are highly appreciated. I read each of them and respond as much as I can. And don't forget to click 'NOTIFY ME' so you can read my reply. ♥